Hand Tools

Subject:
yes on following the grain...
Response To:
Re: Maebiki vs. Frame saw ()

David Weaver
That's probably another reason why the maebiki is as thick as it is - to have its own conviction in the cut.

Bandsaw wander on a mediocre bandsaw is one of the things that led me to make a frame saw. Since then, I've cut a few guitar tops with the frame saw (and wouldn't have been able to with the bandsaw that I had no matter what). Continued tinkering with the saw that I had may have solved the problem eventually.

Steering and perhaps grain direction can cause a little bit of wandering with the frame saw, but not too much (too much tension on it for it to get out of control quickly). I keep enough set on the frame saw to steer, but it's dry wood set vs. wet wood set. If it had more set, it would actually be harder to steer and focus in a given cut - it's not a completely fair comparison for the maebiki until I hammer a little bit more of the set out.

interestingly, the smaller maebiki (the one that I started with and sharpened) is 480mm long, the same size as you mentioned). plate thickness is .062" at the tooth line and .04" at the top of the spine. spine depth is about 30cm. The bigger saw doesn't have much extra length in tooth line, but visually, the tooth line is a little bit thicker and the height is much greater - It'll be better laying on its side if I ever manage to get a green log around here (no truck, no cart, firewood scavengers usually get to anything large enough to saw but light enough that I can lift an end - before I do).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081