Turning Archive 2008

Subject:
Re: Bill, I can't answer your question...

Fog Tanner
>Allen,
I got mine in a 1 pound bag, and it is a gray powder as you describe. I also bought some alledged "fine" pumic which turned out to be rotten stone, so now I have about 2 pounds of it - along with a pound of real pumic. No way I'm throwing 2 pounds of that away, even if I have to mix it with epoxy and use it as a stone finish...

I mixed up some in some wax as a polishing compound. I tried it on a test piece of bare wood that had been sanded. I use the EEE-Ultrashine in the same fashion and never had any problems. It is a wax with an abrasive in it also. The results were not what I had gotten with the EEE, so I shelved the jar of wax/abrasive. Like you I was looking for a hand rubbed surface on the bare wood.

Later I was reading my handbook on polishing and found that the rotten stone is used in French polishing on a film finish like shellac. I have a piece now that I am trying various flavors of shellac (have several pounds of that too), and I plan on trying my mixture on that when I get down to the final finish.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081