Turning Archive

Quick question

Jim Barbour
I have been asked if there is a glossary of shapes for woodturning. I don’t know of such a thing, but before I say no, I’d like to poll the collective wisdom. I understand that there is really not agreement in pottery as to the names of various vessels, and expect the same thing to be the case in woodturning, but I have been pleasantly wrong before.

Of course nearly everything is made up of compilations of coves, beads, and flats, but some of the combos have names; ogee, bird’s beak, fillet, etc. There should be a visual glossary out there somewhere, but half an hour on google has not helped.

I am familiar with this one: https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/the-profiles-used-in-turning-spindles-3536934

Thanks in advance.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.