Turning Archive

Subject:
Last Weekend *PIC*

Don Orr
So I had a pretty good outcome last weekend at Totally Turning/Showcase in Saratoga Springs. I got a few ribbons on some of my pieces-2 3rd places and a 2nd place. Second place is for the Spindle Turning category-a red oak cylinder that was cut and reglued offset. A technique inspired by Keith Tompkins. I was told later the Nick Agar was quite taken with this piece. I was certainly surprised. It got a lot of nice comments at the show.

I got a 3rd place in the Bowl category with a simple spalted Maple bowl that was turned green from a chunk from a neighbors yard. Huge surprise to say the least what with all the spectacular bowls in the Totally Turning gallery. I guess sometimes less really is more.

The last ribbon was in the Shop Equipment category in the Showcase gallery ( separate from TT). My entry is a pair of replica Simonds #88 crosscut saw handles. I turned new wood for the handles and made new barrel nuts and used the vintage hardware. I put together a small display that included the old handle that I copied and the new pieces with a mock blade and info on the handles.

Overall a great weekend including some excellent demos by Mark Baker, Barbara Dill, and John Jordan.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081