Turning Archive

Hunter question

Jim Barbour
I am making more goblets and am considering a Hunter tool for hollowing. I looked to the site and left without making a decision on what would be best. Any suggestions specific to goblet work (or small boxes, which are much the same in terms of hollowing) are appreciated.

I currently use a small Thompson gouge and a OneWay Termite tool, with a Drozda grind Thompson negative rake scraper for the finishing. This all works fine, but I have not used the Hunter tools and they seem to have a strong following among folk whose work I respect. I suppose my process is not broken so it is not in need of fixing; I am just always on the lookout for any improvement - even when I don't know the improvement is there.

Thanks in advance.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.