Turning Archive

Subject:
Hubris mirror *PIC*

john lucas

Hubris often indicates a loss of contact with reality and an overestimation of one's own competence, accomplishments or capabilities. Icarus ignored his father's instructions not to fly too close to the sun; when the wax in his wings melted he tumbled out of the sky and fell into the sea where he drowned.
I have been gluing wood together to turn since the very beginning of my lathe experience. I am constantly experimenting with glues and wood movement. One could easily say I have a constant dialogue with glue. As much as I try to follow the guidelines wood and glue can fight with you often defying the odds. So I’m very much like Icarus in that I tend to push the odds and fly to close to the sun. I though it would be fun to make a hand mirror where the glue fails after flying to close to the sun. I named this Hubris because one definition is Hubris often indicates a loss of contact with reality and an over estimation of one’s own competence, accomplishements or capabilities.
comp wood inabled me to make this piece. There isn't any way I could do those tight bends with other woods.

Messages In This Thread

Hubris mirror *PIC*
Re: Hubris mirror
Re: Hubris mirror
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081