Turning Archive

Subject:
Riding the bevel

John K Jordan
>>>I see a lot of people using the term "ride the bevel" and then I watch them cut and they are nowhere near riding the bevel.

I was thinking about this just last night. I'm making a batch of finger tops for the kindergartners, most out of hard, fine-grained exotics. With a razor-sharp spindle gouge and very slow motion most of my cuts were glass-smooth and "needed" no sanding or maybe a bit of 800 or finer (just to give an idea of the type of cut happening).

I always work by feel but this time I started watching my gouge carefully. (instead of watching the profile as a good boy should!) At no point was the bevel in contact with the wood - to me it looked like there was always the tiniest sliver of a gap behind the tip of the spindle gouge.

This begs more careful examination, perhaps by a second person or with a hi-mag camera focused on the tip with a light underneath. My initial thinking is yes, I was riding the bevel but the bevel was probably about a 100th of a inch long, possibly the length of the micro curvature I put on the very edge by stropping/polishing.

JKJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081