Turning Archive

Subject:
A new thought- Hunter tools
Response To:
Re: Time to replace tools ()

john lucas
I taught 3 classes this summer that were designed to be very short and inexpensive just to get people interested in wood turning. I used a lot different Hunter tools but mostly those that could be used as scrapers. Bare in mind that these leave a cleaner finish than a flat scraper and they are carbide so you don't have to sharpen them.

Then I had 2 different beginner turners come over and I tried more or less the same thing but worked with them a little on using the Hunter Osprey and Hercules as bevel rubbing tools.

So here is my thought. If you were to start all over and don't know about HSS tools here is what I would pick. If your just interested in bowls and platters and maybe other pieces that don't have a lot of details the new Hunter Viceroy would be the tool to use. You use it like a scraper. It doesn't catch so there isn't a learning curve. You don't need a grinder because the cutter can't be sharpened and they last a long time. With just one tool you can do bowls, platters, pens, some Christmas ornaments and host of other things.
If your more serious about turning Then the Hunter Hercules or Osprey would be a better choice because you can use these as scrapers and bevel rubbing tools as well as shear scrapers. Once you learn to use the bevel rubbing concept buy a Hunter #5 Badger to use as a bottom feeder to do steep sided bowl bottoms and box interiors.
If you really get into turning you can get one of the back hollowing tools or the new angle tool. You can get the ornament hollowing tool. If you want to do hollow vessels get a Jamieson captured bar rig and put the Hunter #1 cutter on it with the swiveling tip.
With the tools used as scrapers there isn't much of a learning curve. Just learn to cut downhill with the grain for cleaner cuts. About the only thing I have trouble doing with the tools I mentioned above are thin ornament finials. You can, if you use the Osprey mini as a bevel rubbing tool but you can't get into tight places like the Drozda Vortex tool or toe of a skew can. Also takes a little practice to cut a square shouldered tenon but it's doable since everyone in my class managed.
So 5 or 6 tools and you saved the cost of a grinder and decent wheels and you can do all the turning you need.
what do you think

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081