Turning Archive

Subject:
Bottle Stoppers Getting Stuck

Paul Grenier
I have a couple of places that buy my bottle stoppers and they are a good way to use up small good pieces of wood and get paid for them.
I have Ruth Niles mandrel and stoppers and I have a VERY difficult time getting them off of her mandrel when I've finished them. I've tried putting a 1/8" nylon washer between the top of the mandrel and the bottom of the bottle stopper and it's still VERY tough to get them to un-thread.
I've tried tapping the hole with Ruth's mandrel, since it's made to act as a tap, and them backing it out and inserting it again to make sure that the threads are clean.
If I'm doing a stopper out of cross grain piece of wood, then I'm more successful in not screwing up the threads. If it's end grain wood, then my success rate drops off a lot.
I'm using the drill bit that is supplied with Ruth's bottle stopper mandrel and since I haven't used a vernier to see the diameter of the drill, I'm hoping that someone at Ruth's place makes sure that the drill bit is the correct size.
Suggestions any one?

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081