Turning Archive

Subject:
Oneway 6" Faceplate

Tom Colligan
I had reason to order this accessory and upon opening the box there is a small strip that reads: "WARNING: The set screws in this faceplate will damage the threads on a soft shaft . . . Only top quality wood lathes have hardened spindles."

I wouldn't think tightening a set screw would be necessary here as the centrifugal force works toward tightening the faceplate, no?

Would any of you tighten the set screws when using a faceplate like this? I ask because this mfr must have reason for going to the extra steps in making this accessory with two set screws.

Thanks, and a quick apology for misidentifying my Jet lathe last week. I asked for advice about replacing the bearings in my lathe and I described it as 1440. Dick you were right as it is the 1442 model and not the (newer) 1440 model. Thanks and I learned something about a Reeves Drive Pulley. The YouTube videos showing how to replace the bearings on a lathe did not use a model having this type of pulley. I'm going to take a pass on the project.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081