Turning Archive

Subject:
Buffing

mkauder
I do clear gloss finishes on all my work. I am kinda known for it. In the past I used regular Nitrocellulose Lacquer but because of the long out-gas time, and the continual shrinking of Lacquer, Since coming back after a 8 year break, I have moved to catalyzed finishes (lacquers, Poly, etc). In the past, I have hand sanded my work after final spray coat, starting wet sanding with 600 grit and working up to micromesh 12000 (1 micron). I have begun to consider buffing. Most guitar makers do it, and they are a good model for the materials I use, and of course automotive finishes are done that way. My concern is that I do not want a wavy appearance at all. I would like to hear from any of you that do buffing, especially on Lacquers. What do you sand up to (if at all) before buffing, and what is your buffing grit progression. You can check out my recent photos to see some of my recent work to see what I am looking for. The catalyzed finishes are cutting my spraying time, and now I am looking to save the 2-6 hours of hand sanding on each piece. Thanks. Mark

Messages In This Thread

Buffing
Re: Buffing
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081