Turning Archive

Subject:
round carbide bowl gouge?
Response To:
Re: bowl turning ()

John K Jordan
Do you have a picture of the tool or a link with the picture? Does it have a brand name? Did it come from a store or an individual?

When you say "round carbide cutting insert" is the insert a flat disk, a cupped disk? If so, what diameter? A larger diameter disk be very grabby. A smaller diameter disk can be more controllable.

A bowl gouge can cut with just a tiny bit of the edge at the tip and can be very controllable. The small cupped carbide disk such as on the Hunter Hercules can be used much like a bowl gouge once you know how.

These are typical bowl gouges:

This is a carbide scraper, intended for finishing, not hollowing bowls:

These can be grabby if used improperly and even otherwise result in a horrible surface finish compared to a sharp gouge. Another issue is trying to use the tool with too much over hang off the tool rest. A big issue is presentation of the tool at the right position and angle - get it wrong, bam.

I only use a scraper on the inside of a bowl after hollowing and only if I have trouble removing tool marks. Even then, it's not a carbide disk but a HSS tool ground with a negative rake.

I agree with the others. 30 minutes with an experienced woodturner could identify the problem and provide a solution. Perhaps attend a club meeting in your area and ask there and meet some turners who would be glad to help.

Or take a class with a good instructor.

JKJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081