Turning Archive

Subject:
Re: No issues here
Response To:
No issues here ()

Fred Bearman (Port Huron, Michigan)
FaceBook works great for me keeping up with kids and grandkids, and friends scattered around the world, but I find it hard to believe that it could be as useful as this forum is - this forum is easily searched, but more importantly, Ellis has fostered a group and atmosphere that is much like gathering around the wood stove in an old general store - folks that you know who will be there, willing to share their thoughts and knowledge, who will help you solve a problem, and even share some of their success. Over the years that I have been here, I have been primarily a lurker, a reader, an absorber of wisdom. But this has also been where I come when I need encouragement.

Five or six years ago, due to some misdiagnosis, I was told to get my things in order, and figure out spending my last days. As part of that, we thought about moving to be near friends, and I began lessening that which we would need to move, which meant that I would be selling my tools. My lathe, turning tools, and wood stash all went quickly (and way too cheaply, as we felt a time crunch). About this time, we sought another opinion - and with that, my treatment totally changed - and sha-zam, I'm still here. LOL

Last spring (spring of 2016) my daughter announced that she would be getting married in the fall. I knew that she had always hoped that I would make her cake knife, and the like, as I had done for her best friend previously. But all I had now was my Shopsmith, and no turning tools at all. And no wood, dry or otherwise. I turned to this forum, just for the old familiarity and comfort, and to see if any confidence would rub off on me. With minimal budget, but a need for tools, I turned to John Lucas' videos on the Hunter tools, and decided that I could do what I needed to do with these, with a minimal investment. I also knew that my daughter, being of Scottish descent, was intent on using a quaich in her ceremony, and always tending to bite off more than I can chew, knew that traditionally these are turned from wood, and by golly, I'm traditional if nothing else.

Without this forum, and the hints that I was able to search and find here, and the videos that brought back knowledge, I would never have been able to accomplish what I did - using kiln-dried cherry, I turned a quaich (actually two, of different designs), handles for a cake knife and cake lifter, a pen for the guest book and a base for that pen, and a ring stand with pen (the pen functioned as the central "peg" to hold the rings, and was the pen for signing the license at the end) - and the daughter was surprised and thrilled - she thought that she would be borrowing the cake knife I made for her friend, and our pewter quaich.

I never would have attempted this without this forum being here, and the people that compose this congregation - even without posting, I found encouragement and knowledge here, as well as the comfort of knowing that there were people that would know answers when I needed them. So, thank you Ellis for this meeting place, and the friends who have gathered here. If there is interest, I do have pictures of what you all, unknowingly, helped me accomplish.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081