Turning Archive

Subject:
looking for recommendations on lathes

Luca
Hi All,

I'm a hobbyist woodturner and I'd like to replace my current lathe with a new one. I own a Rikon MIDI lathe with a 12" total swing capacity and I'd like to go beyond that. I do around 20% vase segmentation and 80% small bowl turning. My "wife-planned" budget is 3000$ (but up to 4000$ if it really worths), and my target is to be able to turn relatively big bowls, like up to 22" or so.

A couple of questions:

- The two brands I'm looking into are PM and Laguna. I've understood that in the past there were some noises about the quality and motor reliability of Laguna, but I might not be updated so I'm wondering if someone could please provide a better feedback here. As far as I've understood PM is the best and there is no depreciation with time, but Laguna - for the same bucks - can provide a bigger capacity.
- From the stability, comfort and ergonomics point of view, is the sliding head+bed extension comparable to the inboard turning? As example, I'm thinking about a big bowl like 22"; is the outboard turning with PM3520b w/ bed extension the same as the inboard turning with a Laguna 24/36?
- Is Grizzly a valuable alternative? It is extremely cheap, and the reviews are not as bad, so I'm wondering: am I missing something here?

Thanks, Luca

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081