Turning Archive

Subject:
Re:I love the handle adapters
Response To:
Re: Making the handles ()

Dave Paine
I agree on the benefits of the handle adapters.

I love being able to remove the tool for sharpening. The handles often get in the way for the tools which have the metal glued into the handle. I will likely cut out the metal from the handles over time.

These days I try to purchase unhandled tools to use with a handle adapter.

I purchased a metal lathe a couple of years ago to allow me to make jigs and tools for the wood working / turninghobby. A few months ago I purchased a small knee mill to help with various machining operations. I love using the mill for drilling my turning projects. So easy to move the knee when I get to full depth on the quill. Also the mill is so much more rigid than the drill press table.

I do not expect to make enough items on the metal machines to feel like I have saved the money I spent on the metal machines, but I would now hate to be without these machines.

When I purchased my wood lathe I was surprised at how much I spent on tools and accessories to aid in turning.

I have to say the amount I spent on the wood lathe tools and accessories is a fraction of the money I have spent on tooling, measuring, etc. for the metal lathe and mill.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081