Turning Archive

Subject:
Grinding wheel dressing tools
Response To:
Re: Vari-grind ()

John K Jordan
I've used several on my grinders. I don't like the cheap T dressers I've had - the thin coating of diamonds came off quickly. Far better was a multi-diamond dressing tool that has diamonds embedded in maybe a 3/4" rectangle 1/2" x 1/4" wide. I've used it a long time on the grinding wheels in my little weld shop without wearing it away significantly.

Better still is the single-point dresser. I haven't used the OneWay tool but for years I used a single-point tool very similar to the Geiger tool:
https://www.amazon.com/GEIGER-Geiger-Wheel-Dresser-Model/dp/B0006555F4
It may even be an earlier version of the Geiger or one similar, can't remember. The body has angles machined that ride against the front of a tool rest, holding the diamond at an angle.

Thing is, the single-point diamond guts of that tool is very inexpensive. You can find many on Amazon, for example, for $5-$10. It would be easy to make a holder from a piece of scrap wood to fit a specific tool rest.

I did have trouble with one particular Norton grind wheel that I could not get to run true. I installed the OneWay balancer and it was amazing. Evidently some grinding wheels are not perfectly homogeneous and can be a little heavier on one side. No amount of dressing can make them perfect but the balancer took care of it for me.

That said, I did switch to CBN wheels for my lathe tools. Far better! I still have grinders with stone wheels I use for mild steel since the non-hardened steels apparently can cause problems with CBN. My OneWay balancer is on the shelf.

JKJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081