Turning Archive

Subject:
Re: Vari-grind
Response To:
Re: Vari-grind ()

Karl_TN
Cliff,

Don's 'discontinued' jig with the height adjustment make sense when you're traveling around to other shops. This might be a good reason to keep the Vari-grind 2 around for the height adjustment at other shops.

I'm a relatively new turner so take the rest of this for what it's worth. My experience with other jigs is very limited. I did not buy the Vari-grind 2 because I thought the design was best, but because it was cheap on eBay.

As far as wear, I mostly do touch ups so my Vari-grind 2 doesn't wear out the center of my grinding wheels as much as some people say. If I were changing profiles a lot then wear might become an issue.

The 'tool holder' part of Vari-grind 2 can be removed from the base. I need to test if the tool holder can be used with a basket like the original Vari-grind. If so then maybe Vari-grind 2 provides the best of both worlds.

Last but not least, I'm told that a catch on a grinder could cause stone wheels to explode into pieces of shrapnel. Yikes!!! Not something that I'd want to happen with my kids or visitors around. I would say the Vari-Grind 2 does seem to be a much safer in this respect.

Now for a question: The white wheels that came with my grinder run smoothly, but my gouges still seem to bounce around a little when sharpening. I got the impression from Don's website that my 'T' style diamond wheel dresser can't solve this problem. Am I better off buying a 'diamond point' wheel dresser (like the Wovlerine or Don's) with better wheels, or buying CBN wheels which can't explode or need dressing?

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081