Turning Archive

Subject:
Re: Wolverine/Vari grind help
Response To:
Wolverine/Vari grind help ()

John from Lutz
One of the hardest things I dealt with when starting turning was the sharpening of the gouges. Everybody has a different opinion and that is not bad. There are a lot of options for you to try to find what works for you. I even bought a number of medium grade gouges so I could work with different grinds without having to stop to change the grind in the middle of turning. I decided I liked the Ellsworth grind. I finally met Don Gieger, http://www.geigerssolutions.com, and ended up with a his pro solutions jig to be used with the Vari-Grind. It raises the contact point of the leg in the basket. This makes a big difference in how the wings grind. He has replaced it with an updated and less expensive version. Perhaps the best thing was that in talking with him he explained a lot of turners grind the wings to sharply such that there is almost no bevel which makes them grabby. I now grind the wings with as much bevel as possible which works well with both pull cuts and shear cuts for the final clean up.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081