Turning Archive

Subject:
epoxy test *PIC*

john lucas
OK this wasn't all that scientific but was fun and I tried to have some sort of controls. I picked epoxies I could get locally and had a rating of 3500 PSI or whatever that rating is on the box. I took a 2" piece of steel and sanded it with 100 grit belt. Then I took 3" 3/16" rods and sanded them with 180 grit. I glued them to the metal with 1 1/4" down. I tried to use the same amount of glue as close as I could. The Medium CA was the exception because it wanted to run after it was clamped. That probably proved it's down fall because the dowel popped off when I was inserting the steel bar over that rod.

To do the test I drilled a 3/4" steel rod an inch deep with 3/16" drill. The rod was 5" long. I put this over the dowel and then put a long light weight steel pipe over the 3/4" rod. I had marked the rod every 6" and planned to put weights (in this case a heavy C clamp) on the pipe and move it out to see where they broke. Only 2 survived. All of them except the Devcon plastic welder and the PC-7 failed as soon as I put the pipe on and gently let go. The West system held momentarily while I was reaching for the clamp and then fell. All the others popped off immediately. The PC-7 held up at 6" but failed at 12". The Devcon held up at 24" but failed just as I reached for the clamp to move it further. I had expected the Devcon to fail first since it was called plastic welder.

for my purposes I glued 3/8" dowels into 2 blocks the same distance that I glue my handles to my mirrors. As you can see in the photo all epoxies succeeded. I didn't do a CA test because I know from previous tests it would fail.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081