Turning Archive

Subject:
color question *PIC*

GaryG in MD
OK, so I already know the answer -- try it on a piece of scrap.
I don't have a piece of scrap like this, and this is already finely finished. That's the problem.

At this point, I'd like to ask the experts among you.

Can I airbrush an alcohol-based dye over a piece already finished with Myland's Sanding Sealer (two coats diluted 50/50) that has been sanded to a silky sheen with Abralon 4000.

It's a small (3") femisphere of unknown (scrap) wood. It's the "alpha" version -- call it "proof of concept" -- I didn't even bother to rotate it before first gluing so there's no grain match on this one. My bad. Coulda, shoulda, woulda...
Yes, this is the one I had concerns about the water-based glue warping the ends -- turns out it came out OK. Whew.

I think I would like it colored rather than the rather blah "wood" color that it currently exhibits. The photo is before finishing.

I know I should have dyed it before I sealed it, but I didn't. That's for next time.
What do I do with this one?

Can I put alcohol dye over lacquer or will it just sit on top in most area and make a horrible, blotchy mess in places where it may soak in? Airbrushing should be much better than just slopping it on, but will that be enough?

Should I just leave it alone, or go for it?
I am particularly interested to hear from somebody who has already done this, for better or worse. ...GG

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081