Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Why do I cling to Unicorn-Lite bevels

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
As I reflected on the preparation of chisels for the project at hand I tried to justify what I was doing in light of all the work that has gone on in the past few months.

David has provided a tutorial on preparing a chisel with a Unicorn Profile and described in detail the rational for why it is the way it is. I find no fault with the recommendations nor the justification for them. So why am I staying with Unicorn-Lite, defined as doing what you have always done and follow with a brief buff to add strength to the edge?

To review: David recommends 20 degree primary bevel, 23 degree secondary bevel, buff. I am hollow grinding 25 degrees, refining the 25 degree bevel with finer abrasives, front and back, then buffing.

Some differences between our work.

One difference is experience. I have spent at least 1000 times less time honeing things than David. I need a process that works reliable and consistently when one's sharpening needs occur days and weeks apart. I have not had need to sharpen a chisel in nearly two months when I last was making drawers for the desk.

A hollow ground bevel sucks down on a lubricated diamond plate which provides reliable registration of tool bevel to "stone". What ever angle I grind at will be reliably replicated, and maintained, in the subsequent honeing steps. In the end I reliably wind up with a hollow bevel at 25 degrees vs David's 23 degrees.

Diamond cuts any steel quickly, which is the reason I have advocate using it for quite some time. To refine a hollow ground bevel with a "fine" fixed diamond plate or 15 micron diamond on cast iron takes less than a minute. Following with 1 micron diamond on cast iron takes less than a minute. For me the time advantage of what David is doing is not significant to me.

Inertia- Adding buffing to what one already does is a small step forward. I can maintain focus on how I am going to engineer the drawer support for this rock topped table. Adding 2 seconds on the buffer doesn't take any brain power and I can get on with the woodworking.

Messages In This Thread

Why do I cling to Unicorn-Lite bevels
buff stropping
Re: buff stropping
Re: I go back and forth;
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081