Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Plough Plane repair advice *PIC*

Dave (Arlington, VA)
Hi

A while ago I picked up a Mathieson 9B plough plane. I am pretty sure a previous owner had inadvertently dropped it as one of the wooden threaded rods was snapped in two. I bought it because the price was right and it came with a full set of original plough plane blades (which I intended to use in another - no name - wooden plough plane I had picked up that had only one blade).

However, the Mathieson is MUCH nicer than my other user so I've begun to toy with the idea of replacing the broken wooden threaded rod. But before I walked down that road I thought I'd check here to see if anyone else had done this....especially with one of these plough planes, such as this one, that has a couple of screws at the bottom of the fence that appears to connect to a fancy diamond shaped nut (or some such) at the top of the fence. That has made me wonder if the threaded rod might not be integral to the fence but instead held in place by this bold and "nut." If so all I'd need to do is make new threaded rods and then attach them to the fence.

One last thing....the only wooden threader I can find on sale is comes in various sizes. The size that is closest to the original on this Mathieson is 3/4 inch in diameter with 6 threads per inch. The original is a tad bigger, 51/64s with 8 threads per inch. If I decided to give this a try, can anyone see a reason by the threader that is available (i.e. 3/4 inch and 6 tpi) wouldn't work. Clearly I'd need to change out both threaded rods or it would be difficult to keep the fence parallel when adjusting.

I am hoping this makes some sense to those of you who might have one of these kinds of plough planes. I had wanted to include some additional pics but can't figure out how to get them from my phone to my computer. I got this one over last night (after repeated attempts), but however I did that I can't seem to replicate this morning when I've tried.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks -

Dave

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081