Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Weaver Veg O Matic

Monty Bates
My apology for butting in on this fascinating discussion on Unicorn. I have followed Mr Weavers exploits on this forum for a very long time but he has never tempted me to try any of his endeavors. That is until now. Now he is saying I can just go get a rusty old Stanley, clean it up a bit and install a cheap Chinese iron it will produce gossamer shavings. The only thing he didn't say is if I act quickly he will double the offer. Well I am a sucker, I have to try this.
However, there is always a however, his hucksters version requires a great deal of dexterity of his hands. That dexterity is my problem, I don't have it. I don't need the Weaver Snake Oil, I need the Weaver version of the famed Veg O Matic. Insert plane iron, press down and out pops a sharpened Iron ready to use.
Setting aside my attempt at humor my question is there a way to bypass all that free hand work yet still achieve the same end result?
i have a 10" dual speed Grinder/Buffer I have never known what to do with. Is it possible that I could put on CBN or Tormek wheels and then use the Tormek Camber jig to achieve the same results?

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081