Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
preparing your own pigment stain; application *PIC*

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
At one time I knew the chemist at General Finishes and he told me they prepared their pigment stain by mixing pigment into what they sell to the consumer as "Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner". They would mix the pigment with equipment that would grind the pigment and disperse it. We have a way to get to the same place.

Mix 10-20 weight pr cent artist oil pigment into the pre-stain. For walnut I use just burnt umber. However, it is a ground up oxide of iron and it can range from reddish to yellowish depending on the brand. I prefer the reddish toned burnt umber for walnut. The art store may let you squeeze a bit onto white paper to see the tone. Because it is a mineral pigment it will never change color.

The stain is applied with a rubber like shellac. Dab into the stain, bounce rubber a few times on the jar to distribute into the rubber and rub it on. Applied this way one can control the amount applied to some extent and a little goes a long way. About 5 mL did this project. I think it was mixed 12% pigment.

Messages In This Thread

preparing your own pigment stain; application *PIC*
Easier than anything else I tried...
Re: preparing your own pigment stain; application
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081