Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
incannel or outcannel adze

bridger berdel
A blacksmith friend dropped by the shop a while back. He wondered if I had any adzes he could look at to see how they are made- he was thinking of making some for sale. I showed him what I have, three timber adzes or maybe railroad adzes or something. Small pickaxe sized things. He was interested, but was really looking for carving adzes, especially ones with curved blades, gouge-wise. I agreed that that would be a nice thing to have and that I'd been looking out for one for some time without luck. He suggested that it would be trivial for him to reforge one of my straight ones and I happily sent it off with him. Tick by a couple of months (downright hasty in galloot time) and he dropped off the freshly forged head with the comment that he couldn't remember which side I wanted the bevel on so he left it unground. I don't remember specifying in or out so I don't hold him to fault there, but it does leave me with a choice to make. I anticipate hafting it shorter than it was, probably 18" or so, and it feels to me like it'll be a bit heavy for that length. It has a horn on the back side that I could cut off to lighten it a bit, but such drastic surgery will wait for some serious consideration after it gets put to real use. In other words, it may never happen. But in the meantime, I have to do a bit of grinding. So what say you, intrenet woodworking friends- in or out?

Messages In This Thread

incannel or outcannel adze
Re: incannel or outcannel adze
Re: incannel or outcannel adze
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081