Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Unicorn go round, or, it works in turning as well

Leo Cuellar
As for turning, it was a comment from Mike Stafford commenting on Richard Raffan:

"Richard sees no advantage to negative rake scrapers and is not concerned one iota about a burr. As a matter of a fact he routinely hones the top and side surfaces of his scrapers with a diamond hone and achieves remarkably smooth surfaces. Perhaps the only time he has a burr is when it is fresh off the grinder and after that he hones. "

"The burr lasts a very short amount of time while the sharp clean intersection of the two adjacent surfaces cut very well for a long time. The thin wispy shavings coming of a honed scraper sometimes amaze me." 7/13/2012, 9:22 am
http://www.woodcentral.com/woodworking/forum/archives_turning.pl/bid/2001/md/read/id/456940/sbj/negative-rake-scraper-angles/

Being me, I had to take it one step further:

"I took one of my scrapers to about a 70 degree angle then polished the face and top. I then ran the tool on both sides with red rouge on the buffer. It did not feel particularly sharp with the fingernail test, no burr. Man does that baby cut!" 7/14/2012, 4:15 pm
http://www.woodcentral.com/woodworking/forum/archives_turning.pl/bid/2001/md/read/id/456970/sbj/holy-cow-mike/

I've been watching these exchanges with great interest and some small amusement. I greatly respect and appreciate those of you have the time & patience to get into the nitty gritty detail of the wherefore & why. While I certainly didn't invent buffing, (I held my tongue because it would have been heresy at the time to mention it), I've been doing it for many years on chisels and plane blades because of just plain laziness. I'm guessing I picked up this habit (of buffing) after an exchange with David Barnett (may he rest in peace).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081