Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Unilite Pictures for Bill

David Weaver
I hope there isn't an auto parts company with that name or something..

picture one - iron as it comes off the plane. Actually woodworking today, that's residue from yellow pine. I've never made anything with yellow pine before.

This is after uni-2 or unilite was done, and the plane used some. This edge looked like the last picture before being worn like this.

This is after the washita works the back - circles. I think we can agree that prior unilite is completely gone. I can't take pictures of the bevel side, so no cheating here. Despite the relatively coarse looking edge (software turned the gain down), this is awfully close to an 8k waterstone finish, and close to a black arkansas. I counted 12 seconds of doing this - I cheated two seconds. Iron is O1.

slightly uneven edge look is probably the wire edge.

This is 3 passes on bevel side tangent to wheel, 3 passes on back tangent to wheel. Not being super light with the pressure - the rounding can be seen at the edge, but it's tiny and interestingly enough, is the inverse of what the cap iron is about to do to that spot (wear it concave vs. the starting convex).

This is what the "champ" edge looked like yesterday - the one that feels like a stoned edge, lasts the same roughly in duration of clean wood work, and then didn't take any significant damage from the rosewood that bashed the pointy stone-honed edge.

This was my goal that I was tooting on about - to get the refinement, but nothing I couldn't take out back lapping on the washita. Fitting that the washita stone stays. Of all of the things ever made to abrade metal, it's my favorite.

It's efficient for the quality of the slightly sub-final finish that it leaves and only A2 and SGPS so far have hated it. The efficiency means that it removes everything. No ruler trick, no back lift, nothing like that. 12 seconds of work on the back and then move on.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081