Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Unicorn-Lite on the back side

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
Just sharpened the massive blade on a LV shooting plane. I have end grain to polish and the plane was so dull it would not pick up a shaving. What I learned:

Recently put into service a cast iron plate charged with 15 micron diamond. Please note....... It is times faster than my Ez'lap fine diamond plate. Which is good on this massive chunk of metal.

Disclaimer: David has advised against what I am about to report. He knows vastly more about planing than I do. However, I am vastly less picky about the process and result beyond wood going away.

I sharpened as follows: hollow grind to near the edge. 15 micron free-hand probably about 30 degree +/- bevel to get a burr I can feel. Clean to remove any 15 micron residue. 1 micron free-hand front and back. It felt sharp at this point.

Then.....Unicorn-lite across the back. Light pressure to just deform the soft wheel, 1 second forward and then back. It felt prickly sharp after this step. I don't know what Unicorn-lite does on the back but it is obvious it does something to enhance sharp. If it has some disadvantage I am unable to see it, which in honesty is not saying much.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081