Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
made chisel, Unicorned it, chopped dovetails *PIC*

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
I have had an unhandled Narex chisel I have been wanting to put in service. I tapered the sides for dovetailing on the grinding wheel. Thinned the blade on a belt sander. Turned and mounted a dogwood handle. That's enough modification to claim partial credit for "making a chisel".

Used a flawed technique to drive the handle on. Searched for a wooden knight to pull the sword(chisel) out of the rock(wood). Split rock from sword.

Flattened back and polished to 1 micron diamond. Forgot how fast 15 micron on cast iron cuts compared to a fine Ezlap plate. Wow. Flat ground bevel at 25 degrees through 1 micron diamond. Then at most spent 3 seconds adding the Unicorn Profile with fuzzy wheel, yellow 5 micron compound, 3600 rpm. I could see the narrow glint of the Unicorn bevel.

Dashed out a series of dovetails like the ones I recently chopped for drawers so I would remember some comparison. Did not coping saw waste, chiseled it more aggressively than normal.

Results:

1.normally when I remove waste with 30 degree bevel chisel, without coping sawing, the last bit of waste breaks off leaving a butt hole in the tail. Not this time. And I was not being dainty with the blows.
2 Penetration remarkably easier than 30 degree bevel.
3. No damage to edge I could see at 10X.

Discussion:
This is a mild test of the chisel, not how well I can make a dovetail. (It was a test of how quick though.) But the results encourage further exploration. And it showed the easier penetration could be beneficial even in my hands. I don't think refinement through 1 micron diamond is necessary. Will explore stopping at coarser grit then Unicorning. Will explore hollow grind.

Messages In This Thread

made chisel, Unicorned it, chopped dovetails *PIC*
Lower bevel angles
Re: Lower bevel angles
hard wood paring...
kicked out of class
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081