Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: 5 1/2
Response To:
5 1/2 ()

David Weaver
Thanks for filling in the dots, david. You probably feel a cold breeze from my comments sometimes (as on the cap iron discussions on the UK board or plane design - plane design and function is something I've spent a lot of purposeful time on as a hobby), but that's not really the whole story.

I quite appreciate that because of your videos, I was once one of those beginners and the saga of sharpening that I saw discussed on many forum posts is something I never had to struggle through.

First edge was an excellent edge. I didn't know if it was or was not at the time, but I came to realize over time that it was.

I don't scrape much now and sharpen a scraper freehand, but I also learned from your 5 topic video what to expect and eventually moved to the same standard freehand before going down the planemaking rabbit hole (and some would consider dimensioning wood by hand a rabbit - to do it well and with reasonable speed requires the same experimentation as the planemaking).

I agree on plane flatness. I won't say much more aside from the fact that I've made dozens of planes and cleaned up probably more than a hundred and figured out how to do it very quickly to within what LN uses for a spec - I'm not sure I could teach it to beginners, and sometimes forget that others teach beginners. The worst working planes I've had are those that looked clean and had a sneaky twist or low toe and heel (concave sole). It's not possible to do fine work with the latter.

Even though our arguments go to the point that i think you referred to me as "the most arrogant person you've ever come across" :) I still have great fondness for having gotten off to a good start.

Messages In This Thread

5 1/2
by the way....
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081