Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Out of context.....
Response To:
Re: one exception.... ()

David Weaver
I had a baseball coach in little league who didn't want us to have out of control swings. His solution for it was to demand that every swing should end with the bat pointed at the pitcher (and not recoiled to there, but stop there).

If someone was a master of bunting, maybe that would sound good. It's awfully hard to do much with planes without using your arms.

I made the comment at one point on a UK forum that if you're going to use hand tools for everything, you should probably get past needing to do stop shavings to plane a slightly sprung edge. I'll admit, I didn't "study this up" but it has a lot to do with using a cap iron and getting an even planing stroke. I noticed when I dimension, if I don't pay attention, boards have a tendency to be hollow in the middle. On edges, they tend to be too sprung. Planing ends low is not an asset and learning to plane slightly hollow without extra steps is pretty useful.

David (was not alone, but I did get reminded of how much longer he's used planes than I have) asserted that this could not be. I don't know if he used the word not possible, but that was the assertion - the reward you get for providing a helpful answer.

One other person who started to use the cap iron had the same experience.

Still not possible.

It went as far as having to make a video starting with a dead flat edge to a starrett straight edge (and proof of that by video) to planing the edge hollow - twice - to prove it wasn't by chance - without taking a shaving less than the full length of the edge.

I have no idea if this was ever a common thing people do, but when you dimension wood, it seems awfully useful.

I often join rough panels without match planing (if they're too wide) or using a square or straight edge, either. Again, no clue if this is common, but it seems sensible and quicker. rote routines are fine to work to a standard, but at some point, you feel the desire to make things a little less difficult.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081