Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
one exception....
Response To:
On teaching of any method ()

David Weaver
..for some reason, some of the gurus seem to want to take pot shots at each other about sharpening.

When I watched the original charlesworth video, he mentioned something about one of his competitors refusing to allow students to use a guide.

Then 10 years later, I heard paul sellers (or read in a blog) talk negative about teaching sharpening using a guide. There are many more instructors than that, so that's probably not who he was referring to. I'm sure as instructors of beginners, they see a lot of incomplete edges, but DC and RC (cosman) were commenting on SMC years ago when I was still on there that each had only ever seen two properly sharpened edges in their classes.

I thought this was odd, but I get a lot of tools in use that are incompletely sharpened. People are working with them, though. I couldn't suss out of the two of them what really means an edge that wasn't sharpened (is it only properly sharpened if it's done with your method?).

My first edge was a good one. It took about 50 minutes to follow the steps that charlesworth went through preparing a LN iron, and then use a guide to sharpen the iron the way he said to. I had no idea if the edge was any good, other than that it worked. I realize how that it was a good edge, as good as a king 6000 would do.

Ditto on the delivery, though. We will be precise with everything from the start!! (and my wife will say, or would back then "oh...you're watching Jesus again!! we're going to fall asleep!!!)

Branching out after learning standards does lead to wanting those standards when they're needed, but figuring out how to get them faster.

One thing I noticed about George very early. He doesn't talk much about methods. He talks about good design and working to a standard. He's hesitant to say much about methods unless he's got something novel (like that broaching head cutting planes quickly), but he will talk about design and standards, and once in a while he'll mention time.

I asked him how he made the infill scraper that Larry is using in the harpsichord video thinking I might like to have something like that for guitar tops, and he said "I made it in an hour or so at one point when we needed a scraper" (WHAT!?. Infill scraper, hour what?)

He said "you have to have a mill to do it that quickly", but it's "just" a piece of brass tube (squashed into an oval) soldered to a sole with the infill cut to match the squashed brass tube and then an iron made for it.

Hour. :|

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081