Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
I don't know....
Response To:
Re: forging ()

David Weaver
I don't know the answer to that, but the best way to find out is to try. There are two potential problems that I could see:

* chromium aggregates in steel (leaving behind a non-uniform structure) when the steel is left between something like 900F and 1400F. My objective to heat really quickly and quench is a matter of avoiding spending much time in that range.

* It hardens with changes of temperature of 50 degrees F per *minute*. It may be a huge challenge to do anything with it after forging as it'll probably harden when it cools, and if not, it would spend a bunch of time in the trouble temperature range on the way down.

I didn't read the schedule for annealing (it would have to be done in a vacuum, I think) because there's no way I could begin to do it, so I avoid letting it get any serious heat anywhere (even little local hardening drilling, etc, is punishing) and work it with hacksaw/file, and a drip of water while drilling (slowly).

There's a lack of ground bar stock available in terms of sizes, but knife supply places do seem to have thicker blanks (but they're usually narrow and thick) that might be suitable for a try forging without spending huge amounts of money on a larger bar or sheet.

My guess would be that machining thicker stock to shape under coolant will probably yield a better result for planing (not sure about chisels - it appears to be a pretty good chisel steel, but I would be surprised if it outperformed ideally made plain steel or O1 chisels - the bar for most manufactured chisels in terms of toughness isn't very high).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081