Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
OT - DE Razor shaving

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)
Here’s a topic that David may find interesting. Others too, I hope.

I’ve shaved with a DE (double edge) razor for many years. Started with one, spent a decade or two with a twin blade Gillette Sensor (which is a nice razor - light and nimble), before returning to a DE razor a good number of decades ago now. My choice of absolute best, which I have used for many years now, is a Japanese Feather razor.

I have also used, and enjoy switching to on occasions, vintage DE razors, such as a Gillette SS (I have a classic 1942 model). Also more modern razors, such as by Merkur. Trying different razors is a hobby for some (not one of mine, though).

The blades I like best are also by Feather.

Now here is the interesting part: the reason I mention these DE razors is that they are all excellent. Mostly, a blade lasts me about 5-7 days with one of the alternatives. However, when I use the Feather razor, I get double the amount of shaving from one. In fact, I can take a blade from one of the other razors, when it is starting to feel gritty, place it in the Feather razor, and it transforms into a different - sharp - beast.

The Feather razor has an excellent reputation (they are quite expensive), but that does not explain the difference in blade longevity. Any thoughts?

Regards from Perth

Derek

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081