Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
A plane I don't use much..

david weaver
Years ago, I had a gaggle of stanley style planes, and I didn't use most of them. I sold most of them off, along with all of my lie nielsen planes, and now I've only got two planes I don't use much.

This record 08 is one of those two. It was relatively difficult at the time to find a decent vintage 08 (vs the many modern planes around that are decent but not as good of quality) and this one has a full iron, too - with the factory grind.

I got this one around the same time as the I. Sorby jointer (#7) that I pictured in another thread. That one is the best vintage plane I've ever had.

I got both of these planes after ebay set up their global shipping program, but both are apparently valuable in the UK (compared to 4 1/2s, which you can get for $25-$35 on the UK side sometimes). I think the I. Sorby and the record cost me about $475 including shipping for both (on straight up auctions) - a surprise, as the English don't have as much attachment to common older tools as we do.

The record is a good plane, but I don't find any substance to their advertising about the "crucible" irons. They're about as good as stanley irons, but some are a tad soft.

https://imgur.com/gallery/1dCB067

Messages In This Thread

A plane I don't use much..
Re: XHP ...
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081