Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
CITES Musical Instrument Relief - Padauk Listing

david weaver
I mentioned over on the main side, but will summarize here.

The "not brazilian" rosewoods that were in appendix II of cites got a revision on Wednesday. That includes bubinga, and also palisander wood is included.

The relief amounts simply to an exemption for musical instruments or finished musical instrument components. No need for paperwork going forward. A lot of people skirted these rules and took their chances (me included), as instruments have near zero impact on rosewood harvest - chinese furniture demand accounts for the deforestation problems entirely on its own.

CITES finally recognized that and gave us relief. US customs had an official answer of "needs paperwork", but they opened multiple items of mine and applied common sense. No need to rely on that now.

Brazilian is unaffected because the exemption applies to a different appendix than it is in.

Also, Padauk is now restricted. it's not mentioned in the summary, but I'm sure that's also chinese furniture related as China has been going to africa where it's easier to smuggle items or intentionally mislabel a shipment of wood as something other than dalbergia types. Since padauk was unrestricted, it was probably a popular option to feed the growing furniture industry there.

Padauk is added to appendix II, so it falls into the instrument exemption, but the lumber now needs paperwork.

For all rosewoods in Appendix II, small finished items under 500 grams are also given relief. Tool handles, etc, are now OK (again, this doesn't include D. Nigra. Expect that ebay's shipping subcontractors will still seize planes because they sometimes can't tell the difference between record's beech handles and the wood that's in a vintage norris).

North Indian Rosewood is completely removed from restriction. Actual latin nomenclature is provided on the CITES page.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081