Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
One more wildcard- Washita and 1 micron-768 feet

David Weaver
hand honed bevel side (probably mid 30s in terms of angle) and 1 micron diamond back bevel.

Another lazy man's special that suggests pairing a very fine diamond finish on the back with a medium natural stone produces a pretty good edge duration.

I love the washita, the way it feels and am not looking to give it up in favor of a diamond hone.

Curious as to what I would do in a "Real life" scenario maintaining a single secondary bevel with one stone, but trying to cheat by improving the finish on the back of the iron with 1 micron diamonds (ruler trick in this case because the back bevel is there).

768 feet. I think that's pretty favorable. This is a relatively fine washita, but it would cut the bevel on the O1 iron four times before needing to go back to the grinder, and the feeling of using it vs. a diamond plate is heavenly.

Avoiding a second angle with 1 micron diamonds on the bottom prevents more steepness, adding it just on the back seems to add a considerable amount as the stone is less fine and much faster than the black ark.

This is also well ahead of any of the trials that I threw out with the 2.5 micron diamond (and much sharper feeling and smoother in the cut - less effort).

Cycle time with this would be similar to the 1 1/2 minutes that I refer to elsewhere.

Surface finish is behind the black ark and well behind the 1 micron diamond in terms of brightness, but still good and uniform. No marks, no strange edge failures, just pleasant planing.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081