Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: "Hardest" species
Response To:
Re: "Hardest" species ()

david weaver
I haven't planed much locust, just a little bit. It lasts for eons in the ground, and it makes the chainsaw spark (we burned a lot of it) sometimes.

If wood makes a chainsaw spark when you cut it, it's bad!!

Janka measures a dent if I remember correctly. There should be another measure that provides the hardest constituent part of wood, also , as it's not a complete measure for harshness on tools. It's a good start, but indian rosewood is supposedly much harder and so is gabon ebony, and they both plane wonderfully (gabon ebony doesn't have a lot of directional conviction, and fractures a lot, but it's pleasant to plane through).

I fell into the trap of thinking that my tool kit and irons should be set up to deal with those woods, even though I knew they'd only be a small percentage of what I work with in the long term. Understanding ideal weight for tools, etc, cooled my jets about making planes from rosewood, etc, too. Nobody wants a 28" rosewood jointer that's full height and width unless it's going to sit on a shelf "look at this plane...it's 17 pounds!! it'll go through anything!!" (including users).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081