Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Even if...
Response To:
makes sense ()

david weaver
..things even up in the maple sample with 3V, it's tough, maybe they will, it's not commercially available and it's from my perception, a full rung up on the ladder in terms of sharpening difficulty because the material removal with diamonds is slower.

I think we'll be able to establish that of the available options for most things, V11 is a better choice. But, I'd also still say if someone loves LN products and the stanley plane type, it's not like A2 is bad, it just doesn't fare as well in the maple and beech tests.

I was pondering why LV even offers A2 anymore, and then thought about the fact that I was going to do this whole test with the 5 1/2 instead of the LN smoother, and one of the reasons that I didn't was because there was no online stock of V11 irons in 2 3/8" (I'm certainly not going to ask LV to track me down an iron - I hate it when people do performance reviews of "stuff" and they go directly to manufacturers and get samples of whatever they're going to test).

So far as to stick my neck out a little, LN's A2 is a little bit better than LVs. That's been my experience (not so much longevity as edge uniformity) and brent beach's pictures show the same thing. The only reason I can think of that LV still offers it is to give people something other than O1 to buy when the V11 is out of stock.

Since we've established the two end points (but I'd still use any iron in this study without issue day to day - I picked all of them because other than not using 3V before, I knew they were all good irons from use - how good was the question), I'd like to cut down on data gathering time and study other cutting conditions, other abrasives/sizes and other final bevels.

As you've suggested, there's all kinds of things people do - I don't believe many sharpen to the standard that we've performed so far, as I've bought a lot of used planes (not going to name the sellers) and I've never seen an iron close. I trust that if I got a plane from warren or brian or some other folks, I wouldn't be able to improve on what they do, but few people must actually sharpen to a spec like that or it's unlikely I wouldn't have seen it rifling through used premium planes.

At any rate, I hope nobody who already has well outfitted kit reads this study once it's done and decides they need to wholesale replace things they were already happy with. I'm not even doing that, and the feel during testing was pretty convincing. Dumping metal planes for wood for all of the rough and penultimate work, simplifying sharpening and figuring out how to use the cap iron to reduce labor was more effective than this. But that goes back to your mention of lifting shavings - I can tell someone who trims with a plane all I want to about carbon steel and washita stones and wooden planes, they're still going to ask what will make sharpening occur less frequently for them.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081