Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: 1000g water stones
Response To:
Re: 1000g water stones ()

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)
I’ve heard good things about the Chosera stones that Brian referenced—do you have experience with them?

Hi Wiley

I've heard good things about them as well, but not used them.

To be frank, I am very far from David's position when it comes to sharpening. I have tried a few different systems over the years in a search to determine what works best for me, but my numbers involved are pitiful by comparison.

I have settled on two sharpening systems, and have been using them for some years. I am not inclined to change them .. unless it can be demonstrated that there is a good reason.

The first system is a Shapton Pro 1000, followed by Sigma 6000 and 13000 (these are far better on the A2, PM-V11, HSS, and M4 steels than the Shapton Pro 5000, 8000 and 12000). This is the system I am more inclined to use in my workshop.

The second system is one designed for mobility (where water is uncertain, such as wood shows), and this is a worn Ezy-lap 600 grit, and Medium and Ultra Fine Spyderco. I may use this system in the shop as well.

I follow both systems with Veritas green compound rubbed on planed hardwood.

These systems work well, and that is all I ask.

With the exception of Japanese chisels, all blades are hollow ground (on CBN), and the amount of steel left for honing is very little. Sharpening is fast. My only claim to fame in sharpening is speed. I am not a sharpening guru.

Regards from Perth

Derek

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081