Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Other tests..

david weaver
* relative wear of more vs. less refined edges in a higher alloy iron vs. O1
* the effect of jammed shavings in a cap iron on the edge of a plane where the mouth is also set tight (I think this may have been the killer of the V11 edge initially).
* erosion of edges around defects created by stray sharpening grooves in O1 and a more highly alloyed iron
* (if necessary) accommodating sharpening methods/media to limit failure in various steel types (O1 and blue steel don't appear to need this - not sure if I can find a way to eliminate small lines that appear from all of the other irons)
* 1095 or W1 at similar hardness vs. O1 (to test what happens when nearly all of the non-iron carbides aren't present - similar test to the one here - uniformity and feet planed before a shaving fails to lift

I think someone has already studied the effect of high angles on edge life. It would be interesting for the sake of curiosity to see if the relative life of each iron was the same with increasing angles (as in, if the chinese iron lifts a shaving 1 1/2 times longer than O1, does it do the same when one planes with an angle of 55 degrees - just lower nominally for both?). As interesting as it might be, I don't want to encourage such delinquent behavior as using high angles or tiny mouths. 8)

Almost forgot, my big-little smoothing gimmick. Since this test may show how much edge life i give up chasing uniformity, it'd be nice to quantify some of the things that non-beginners do to stretch edge life. I never took thick smoother shavings when I first started for two reasons:
1) I was afraid of tearout
2) I couldn't control the plane

A thicker shaving chasing dimensions or squareness allows for faster and sometimes more accurate work (it's easier to set a thicker shaving equal across its width to not threaten squareness on an edge than it is to take four or five thinner shavings and get the same result). I can't document the squareness improvement (that's too subjective and dependent on user), but I can document the volume of wood removed by increasing all but final smoother shavings, and the amount of time that it takes to remove a given volume of wood in planing time vs. shaving weight.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081