Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
strange happenings with alibaba

David Weaver
A couple of weeks ago, I was showing links to chinese tools (the $60 butt chisels that WC sells for $16 and so on).

When I was at the beach two weeks ago, I got a notification that I'd qualified for transaction insurance for an $1800 transaction. Not knowing why I'd get that, I logged into my alibaba account (which you have if you use any of jack ma's products - I've bought through ali express), and noticed an order for 20 CBN wheels and 20 of something else.

Of course, I never created this order. The wheels were $60 each FOB, and probably the same thing as the "$150" wheel that I already have, but I thought that was a bit presumptuous. It appears that the sellers can create an order, fill it and then dispute with you about payment later since it is an assumed corporate action. I wonder if the seller had used some kind of service and found that I linked their account. Whatever the case, I could cancel the transaction before it was filled, but it was annoying that if I hadn't checked, it would've just been sent here and then I'd have needed to use the alibaba dispute process (they have my credit card info in ali express).

The only thing I could do to prevent it from occurring again was cancel my account on both, which I think is also annoying because I do buy individual goods from ali express (the $10 HSS irons that I have are from china, and I buy little divey things for my daughter, as well as guitar components, like celluloid binding that's really a $2 product in the US with $10 of shipping).

I thought for a second that it might be a nice gesture to just let the order come through and then sell a gaggle of $90 CBN wheels to cover selling expenses, etc, but decided not to.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081