Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: Somewhere in...
Response To:
Somewhere in... ()

TomD
It is rather funny to see the LN brand at the low end. I didn't have much use for it as it was not my preferred format. Though I do own a few of their early planes that at one point were quite favourably priced. I don't really use them, and have thought of selling them.

I don't see where tang chisels are preferred? When did that happen. Socket chisels always seemed ideal to me, though most of my chisels are tang socket, which might be the best of both worlds, certainly part of both worlds. I use my Barr chisels a lot, and they are a good away brand, I take them on the road as they are easier to sharpen, and seem made for pros with their powerful transition from socket to blade.

Sockets take up a lot more material, and would be a lot more expensive to make, unless one were really really set up for it. In stock removal, like CNC there would be huge waste of material. Tang are lower tech in the old days with the burning in method, and today with bonding. Bonding produces a very effective attachment, if lacking a little in artfulness.

My dad was born in 1925, and the Swedish chisels he owned were socketed. I don't know where he got them, or if they were second hand, they were mismatched. He probably put them together around '55. They were hard, and a bit tough to sharpen. The main feature they had was the handles never stayed put. I was quite surprised when buying my own chisels to find it was possible to get them with handles that remained attached.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081