Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Broad hatchets

Bill Houghton, Sebastopol, CA
I've got a right-handed broad hatchet, which I've used some, in spite of being left-handed, and found useful for things like removing an inch from the edge of a board. I'm reluctant to cut off the perfectly good handle to change hands, and was pleased when, a while back, I picked up another one, a Plumb that weighs about 2-3/4 pounds, with a stub handle. I've been too busy to put a new handle on it as a left-handed tool, though.

In a recent garage cleanout, I scored yet another broad hatchet, this one set up left-handed and with a decent (not great, but decent) handle. It's noticeably thinner, smaller, and lighter, though, than either of the other two. It's also noticeably scruffier, so I haven't found the maker's name. It would require major work; it appears to have been used to trim concrete posts or elephant bones, and I'd have to regrind back 3/4" or so and establish a new bevel before I could begin to sharpen it.

My question today: what are the tradeoffs of weight in a broad hatchet? Is lighter or heavier better? If the heavier Plumb is what I should have, I won't waste time with the new one but will let some future buyer at the Habitat ReStore have that joy; but, obviously, if a lighter one has some virtues, it stays.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081