Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: Planed vs. Sanded
Response To:
Re: Planed vs. Sanded ()

david weaver
My shop doesn't have a lot of external lighting. I am just going to plane the opposite sides of the panel and take the same three pictures that I showed here. One from each end and then one from a distance.

The only thing I would speculate looking at the curl is that there are open pores on the light spots, but there are not.

Certainly, other people can do experiments and post them. I think that generally, most people *buying stuff* aren't going to care, but there will be some difference in how sanded vs. planed looks, and in this case, we're looking at cherry (if there is anything more typical of hand work and finish planing than cherry, I don't know what it is. It's moderately soft, easy to work by hand and not expensive).

I planed and then sanded a blotchy piece of cherry years ago and couldn't tell that much of a difference (it wasn't as desirable as this cheap cherry). It didn't look that great either way.

I'm not about to plane 20 samples, though. Years ago, I did a few tests like that and all it gets you is arguments from other people. Waste of time. One like this takes about 20 minutes total for both takes. I can tolerate it, because other than finding my sandpaper (which I generally use only on infill planes to shore any thousandth type gaps or to sand cocobolo, because the style with infills tends to be more rounded and less interesting, etc.), I didn't do anything out of the ordinary and didn't result to any absurd sharpening routine or multi thousand dollar plane to try to spike the method. Regardless of how this turns out, I'll continue to plane because it's faster.

In terms of something like Brian is talking about, it's not disputable that planing is better, but one could dispute whether or not there is a customer over here in the states who would care. I have no experience with that.

If I make a plane and then sell it to someone, I scrape the handles and I plane the sides of the plane and the top. No sanding anywhere on the plane except for truing the sole on a lap (and that's not necessary, I just do it because I'm lazy). The lack of sanding leaves a bit of bite on the handles for the next person to wear down, but it's not intentional. I just don't think sanding that out adds any benefit, but it does add a lot of time. To the . If I was making planes for pay as a business, I may run across people who desired everything to be completely rounded off and sanded, but that's one of the reasons that I don't generally make planes for pay. Makes no difference in the utility of the planes, all that stuff, I'm just stuck on it as a personal choice (if I'm making a plane, I will plane the surface).

Brian posted a fairly low light picture of one of my planes a couple of years ago and Warren instantly spotted that it hadn't been sanded, and referred to Larry Williams' planes as being sanded (which is true). I thought it was interesting how instantly Warren spotted it. I wouldn't have even been looking.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081