Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Forever and mistakes
Response To:
Re: High grit ()

david weaver
In case charlie comes along and tells us that it's fast, I guess if you sand at 600 from 400, that's pretty quick.

This was a center (still is) door panel for my last door. Maybe I already said that. I had already planed it, so I had to go back to 100 grit to make sure I removed a layer of wood. I have no idea what's typical off of a planer, but vaguely recall hand sanding with 120 or some such thing and going up from there (I used to finish at 400, because it felt better, the surface felt better - if I was getting paid, I'd stop at 220, because it's quick).

We often hear from critics that you'll plane and leave marks (you can learn how to not do that), but you can also sand and leave marks. I know which process I'd rather be careful with.

You always end up with something after assembly if you're not careful or if your project gets stretched out and wood gets dirty or something. I usually scrape and burnish, scrape is two steps - once with a scraper that's cutting well, and once with one that's a bit dull, and then burnish with shavings. I can't see the difference in spots vs. planing. If you're lucky and the carcase you put together is both flat and rigid, you can just finish with a plane after assembly and before mouldings.

If not, the only marks I've ever left in pieces are unfound stray sanding marks when I first started woodworking - like the ones next to a moulding or detail where wood runs both ways. Scraping is more ideal for those spots, but beginners probably end up taping areas off and getting into all kinds of time wasters.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081