Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: I like the same thing..
Response To:
Re: Let's Plane ()

david weaver
.. something a little heavier than beech. it's about 2/3rds of the weight that I want a smoother to have, but some of that is due to the technique difference (bump and swipe quickly with a coffin smoother, less abrupt with heavier planes).

I like the cocobolo smoothers that I've made, I just don't like working with it that much. It's not bad, but not great.

The one plane that I have left that I use some is a 2 1/4" wide cocobolo coffin smoother, which is super for taking planer chatter off of something, or for spot removing an area without tearing it out. I keep it set with some camber (at least for a smoother) and to take a shaving about 5 thousandths. One pass or two passes for wood out of a planer and all ripples and bruises below the surface line are gone. I'd use it for more, but the iron is sorby and not hard enough for regular work with thin shavings. It holds up just fine, however, with a shaving about half a hundredth and I'm tired before it is.

One oddity of it that I noticed, though, is that it formed a belly a couple of times that required re-truing the sole. I haven't used it recently, so I don't know if it's grown another one yet.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081