Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: the Demise of Local
Response To:
the Demise of Local ()

Gary B.
Agreed, it's really sad. I had the distinct pleasure of working in an old school hardware store when I was 16 and 17. The owner was in the business 50 years.
He had a collection of old odd plumbing connections that seemed to be known in two counties. If someone needed a cast iron fitting, he likely had it. Learned a ton of general "Man" knowledge, even got payed for it :-) It was great at that age to learn how to sharpen lawn mower blades, repair window screens, cut and glaze window glass, etc. My favorite was when a customer came in with a problem, and I'd watch and learn as the owners (father and son) came up with a solution. Last time I went back home, I noticed that they had sold the business to another couple with an ACE franchise. It was still OK, but not the same.

Sadly, I don't think it's going to get any better. Walmart and the other large chain stores have killed the Mom and Pop business model. At this point, my money's on Amazon and other online retailers. I live on the outskirts of Metro Atlanta. I was notified that prime now exists in my area. I needed an item at work the other day, ordered it at 6:30 am, and they delivered it just before 8am. If they get that model worked out for the larger suburban areas, it's going to devastate the local businesses even further. IMO, we're on the verge of the next big shakeup.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081