Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
i like ece.
Response To:
Re: Primus Eliminatus ()

Joseph Piotrowski
maybe its just because i don't have any long term experience with any one type of plane,i like the primus planes. there are of course several negative things mentioned above that i can't dispute. how ever depth adjustment and blade changes seam like no big deal to me.

as a noob acquiring more tools that i need.... i have old wedge woodies, old Stanley, new Stanley low angle jack . used primus planes and a new woodriver#3 smoother.

i see pros and cons to each. maybe after a few years of actually making things with them, i'll change my opinion but i's rank them liek this:

1. stanley style adjuster, metal body. woodrvier seams like a good price point/quality so far
2. ece primus planes. only if i get them for 1/3rd the cost.
3. tap in plane. old woodies included. i have a nice newly custom made infill block/smother that make me warm and tingly to use

4. norris style adjuster? . my only experience with on so far is the Stanley sweetheart low angle jack and the Veritas skew angle plane. if that is a norris style adjuster, i don't care for it.

i an becoming very attached to my Stanley planes but i cant help but garb the wood body planes in the cold weather. so much nicer to hold.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081