Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Clarification
Response To:
Re: I prefer the LN tools ()

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
I think the LN (Steve Latta) circle cutter clearly superior. It cuts nicely through the grain transitions of a circle and it provides a secure shape for holding and control.

The LN straight line cutter is a mixed bag. I don't find it comfortable to hold. It reminds me of a LN shoulder plane. There is no convenient place to grab it.

It's cross cut teeth do nicely cross grain. In inexperienced hands the teeth jam up with a rip cut. Latta could cut the string trough for a Federal leg in seconds. I never got close to that speed. But, it is easy to make your own cutters for the straight line cutter from pieces of 0.032" band saw stock. Not surprising, filing a rip tooth does better in straight lines. I suppose if one could find a file small enough the tooth pattern of the LV cutter could be fashioned. How do they cut that profile?

I wonder, for straight lines, if a marking gauge that holds a cutter could not be used for cutting troughs. I like multitaskers. I must explore this option. I would find my marking gauge much easier to hold than the LV cutter.

But what Steve Latta actually uses for long straight cuts is the Dremel router and a mini base. Beginners will break some bits until the proper feed rate is discovered, but once discovered this arrangement is blazing fast.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081